One of the Many Reclamation Projects in Dents Run - P&N Coal Company Remining Site
Over 85 people attended the “Dents Run Renewal Celebration” in the Bennett Branch Watershed, Elk County this week to celebrate the mine restoration work completed in the watershed over the last five years.
Over half the restoration work needed in the watershed has been finished or is under contract to be finished. All of the 250 acres of mine land restoration will be completed in 2007.
See the special photo feature on the Celebration
Emceeing the event was Dr. Colson Blakeslee, an active environmentalist in the region, who serves on the Board of the Western Pennsylvania Watershed Assistance Program and was one of the inspiring forces behind the Dents Run restoration projects and the Bennett Branch Watershed Association.
Each of the speakers at the celebration highlighted tthe partnerships the Watershed Association, federal, state and county agencies, coal companies have formed to restore the watershed over the last six years.
Speakers included Congressman John Peterson (R-Warren), Rep. Dan Surra (D-Elk), Doug Austen, Executive Director of the Fish & Boat Commission, John Dzemyan, Game Commission, Eric Cavazza, DEP Bureau of Abandoned Mine Reclamation, John Dawes, Western Pennsylvania Watershed Assistance Program, Bill Sabatose, Toby Creek Watershed Association and PFBC vice-chaiman and David Hess, former Secretary of DEP.
Also attending were Steve Garbarino, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which provided over $5 million for reclamation projects in the watershed, Elk County Commissioner June Sorg, John Prushnok, President, P&N Coal Company, which is remining and restoring a portion of Dents Run as part of the restoration efforts, Margaret Dunn, Stream Restoration, Inc. and Tim Danehy, BioMost, Inc. who designed and are overseeing construction of a passive treatment system for discharges on site 3895.
The celebration was held on the Gilbert Farm on Winslow Hill Road near the Elk Viewing Area outside of Benezette.
About 34 percent of the acid mine drainage affecting the main stem of the Bennett Branch creek comes from the lower part of its Dents Run tributary.
For more information contact Kim Lanich, Watershed Specialist, Elk County Conservation District at 814-776-5373 or send email to: email@example.com .
NewsClip: Service Held to Celebrate Work in Dents Run
Link: PA Wilds Visitor Information webpage.
The Senate returns to session September 19 and the House on September 25.
On the Hill
· Rep. Smith Proposes Youth Fishing License
· House Environmental Committee Sets Informational Meeting on Mercury Control
· House Democratic Policy Committee Sets Hearing on Climate Change
· Over $136,000 in Exelon Grants Awarded to Improve Schuylkill River Watershed
· $2.7 million in Grants Announced for 11 Water Quality Projects
· Free Native Trees Available Through “Trees for Streams” Program
· Applications Now Being Accepted for Coastal Zone Management Grants
· Bakerton Rod & Gun Club Dedicates Mine Drainage Treatment System
· Johnstown to Hold First Annual Riverfest August 19
· 2nd Annual Pinchott Festival of Wood Set for August 12-13 at Grey Towers
· New Issue of Green Building Alliance Cornerstone Newsletter Now Available
· DEP Accepting Grant Applications for E85, Biodiesel Use
· Wilson Sponsors “Life After Cheap Oil” Conference September 15-16
· Growing Greener Cities, Symposium on Urban Environmental Issues October 15-17
· $2 Million in Land Use Planning, Technical Assistance Grants Available
· New Multi-State Guide to Farmland Preservation Published
· ClearWater Conservancy Purchases Musser Gap, Centre County
· New EPA, Industry Partnership Will Cut Mercury Emissions by 75 Tons
· August Issue of EE Connections Newsletter Online From Environmental Ed Center
· DEP’s DePasquale to Resign to Run for House
See & Hear
· Visit the American Water Hydro School Online
· Lancaster Business Wins 2005 Award for Environmental Excellence, You Can Too!
· Alternative Fuels: A Solution to the Energy Crisis, Seth Obetz, Worley & Obetz
Go To: PA Environment Digest Calendar Page